If you’re gonna make only one change to your skincare routine this fall, look for the best hyaluronic acid serum or moisturizer to add into your mix.
To be honest, hyaluronic acid is a skincare hero all year round, but it’s in the colder months that it really earns its stripes. When the temperatures drop, the harsh winds bite at your face and the low humidity leaves it thirsty for moisture, hyaluronic acid comes along and drops a moisture bomb on your skin that keeps it soft and plump all fall and winter long.
Here’s why you should add it to your skincare routine as soon as possible:
What’s Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a glycosaminoglycans or, to say it in plain English, a long, unbranched sugar that naturally occurs in your body’s connective tissue.
Together with ceramides, cholesterol and fatty acids, hyaluronic acid makes up the glue that holds skin cells together. But that’s not the only job it does.
What Does Hyaluronic Acid Do For Your Skin?
Think of hyaluronic acid as a big magnet. This magnet attracts moisture droplets in the air and deposits them into your skin. It does this so well, it can bind up to 1000 times its weight in water! No other humectant (scientists’ fancy name for moisture magnets) can do that.
This waterfall of moisture is a godsend for your skin. All this moisture plumps it up, which in turn, makes your fine lines and wrinkles look smaller. It also softens its texture so that it feels like velvet to the touch. Plus, it gives your skin that dewy, radiant glow that makes it look like it’s lit from within.
That’s just the hydrating part. Hyaluronic acid also boosts collagen, makes skin more elastic and soothes inflammations.
Who Should Use Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is one of those rare ingredients that work wonders for all skin types:
- If you have oily skin, hyaluronic acid is a great way to hydrate skin without adding more oil to it.
- If you have dry skin, hyaluronic acid will replenish all the moisture your skin loses throughout the day, keeping it soft and smooth.
- If you have sensitive skin or roseacea, hyaluronic acid will soothe the inflamed areas and give you some much-needed comfort.
There’s only one caveat: hyaluronic acid will eventually be absorbed by the body. To reap its benefits, you must use it regularly.
How Do You Choose The Best Hyaluronic Acid Serum Or Moisturizer?
This depends on your needs:
- If you have dry skin, try a rich mask like Mega Plump Hyaluronic Acid Pressed Serum Gel Moisturiser & Hydrating Mask. It’s a moisture bomb safe enough for daily use.
- If you have oily skin, go for an oil-free moisturizer, like Hydrate & Glow Oil Free Moisturizer. Instead of oils, it uses moisture magnets like hyaluronic acid to keep your skin soft and hydrated all day long.
- If you’re concerned about antiaging, Massive Hydration Hyaluronic Acid Serum With Vitamin C & Matrixyl 3000 Complex is for you. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that brightens your skin, fades dark spots and boosts collagen. Matrixyl 3000 is a peptide that boosts firmness and elasticity. Together, this trio keeps your skin looking young and glowy!
- If you have sensitive skin or acne, opt for a soothing formula like B5 Serum With Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid. It uses vitamin B5 to remove excess sebum from your skin so P.Acnes can’t feed on it and proliferate.
- If you’re looking for something you can easily add to your favourite moisturiser or serum, choose a booster like 100% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Concentrate. It’s so versatile, you can use it alone, under your fave moisturiser or mixed with your favourite lotion or serum.