It seems counterintuitive. If you're about to wash your hair, pouring additional oil all over it is the last thing on your mind. Won't that just leave a bigger mess for you to clean up?
Well, yes, it will make your hair a little bit greasier, but that's exactly why a pre-shampoo treatment with oil is the ultimate hair savior for dry and color-treated hair.
Let me explain:
Why You Should Pre-Shampoo
While an occasional deep-cleansing is actually beneficial to remove damaging silicones and waxes that can build-up and cause breakage, washing your hair too often isn't that great for it, either.
Shampoos often remove most of the natural sebum, along with dirt and other impurities, from your hair. Sebum is simply your hair's natural moisturizer. Its job is to waterproof hair, preventing moisture from evaporating away. So, if you remove too much of it, you'll end up with dry and brittle hair.
Sebum also keeps water out of your hair. When you wash your hair, the water makes the strands swell up. Then, as it dries down, your hair contracts again. This process is called hydral fatigue and seriously weakens your locks, making them more prone to breakage.
That's where a pre-shampoo treatment with oil comes in:
- It balances the amount of oil in your locks, keeping them naturally soft and shiny.
- It reduces the amount of water your hair soaks up during washing.
- It prevents your shampoo from removing too much hair dye from your color-treated hair.
If you dread washing your hair for fear it'll become even more straw-like than it already is, or were worried it'll make your new hair color disappear in no time, pre-shampooing is totally for you.
How Do You Do A Pre-Shampoo Treatment?
Pamper yourself. Here's all you have to do:
- Grab yourself a bottle of argan oil (we recommend our Organic Argan Oil). You can use it full strength, or mix argan oil with equal parts coconut oil.
- Gently warm the oil to help it penetrate your hair better and faster (optional).
- Massage the oil all over the length of your hair, starting from the ends and working your way up.
- Wrap your hair up with a plastic cap or a warmed wet towel.
- Leave it on for at least an hour to give the oil time to fully penetrate. The longer you leave it on, the better it'll work. For best results, do it before bedtime and wash your hair in the morning.
- Repeat once a week (or whenever your hair starts misbehaving, and/or feels dry and brittle).
Why Argan Oil?
Argan oil isn't the only oil you can use to pre-shampoo your hair. But we recommend it because it's one of the best oils for dry hair.
Argan oil is rich in vitamin E, omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids, which are all very moisturizing and nourishing for hair. Argan oil can:
- Prevent water loss
- Restore moisture and softness to hair
- Repair split ends
- Add lots of shine
One more thing, argan oil isn't greasy. So, if the greasy factor was holding you back from trying the pre-shampoo treatment, you have no more excuses.
Here's to soft and shiny hair all winter long!