What Are Protein Hair Treatments?Hair products loaded with proteins. A type of protein your hair can absorb, to be exact. Hair protein treatments do all kinds of wonderful things for your hair:
- Strengthen: your hair is made of protein. Adding more makes it stronger and less prone to breakage.
- Repair: heat, excess shampooing, harsh weather and chemical treatments strip protein from your hair, leaving it dry and dull. Protein hair treatments patch up these “holes” in your hair, making it soft and shiny again.
- Moisturize: proteins slow down water loss, keeping your hair soft and moisturized. The conditioners you use adhere to the protein, so more remains after rinsing and it works better, and lasts longer.
Do You Need A Protein Hair Treatment?You need a protein hair treatment if:
- You’ve tried rich conditioners and masks but your hair’s still as dry as the Sahara
- You dye, bleach, relax or perm your hair regularly
- You’re about to have your hair bleached or permed again (it’ll help mitigate the damage)
- You often experience breakage
Are There Any Side Effects?Too much of a good thing is bad thing. Too much protein can leave your hair stiff and prone to breakage. That’s why it’s best to try a richer conditioner first. If that doesn’t work then upgrade to a protein hair treatment, but remember to adhere to the directions and don't over-use it. We recommend using our concentrated Pure Protein Filler Treatment only twice a month for best results.
How To Use A Protein Hair TreatmentAlways read the instructions carefully! To use our Pure Protein Filler Treatment:
- In a bowl, mix 1 capful of Pure Protein with enough of your fave moisturizing conditioner to cover your hair.
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove dirt, buildup and anything else that’s on your hair so the protein can better stick to it.
- Towel dry your hair.
- Apply the protein/conditioner mixture to your hair. Comb through until it’s all distributed evenly, then cover with a shower cap for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out completely.